Saturday, October 04, 2014

63% of the battery



63% of the battery on my macbook pro, hmmm and I am listening to some strange music, probably I should change it.  « Done » like Mr.Gordon Ramsay would say. At least one thing I did today, if you get what I want to say. But it is almost 6AM so I have the day let us say in front of me. My hands are a little bit shaking but the coffee has not yet takes it’s effects and I am also tipping on a French keyboard. What do you do at 6AM except of sleeping, exercising or drinking or watching TV?

In the last time I think more about art than I ever did. I do quite less art myself, but I gain my living with conservation of artworks and writing books. Have to do podcast again as well. On a French keyboard it is difficult to write and look at the screen at the same time, even to use all of your fingers - have to get used to it I guess… So I think art - not only contemporary artworks - all art all the time is still I think a question of perception. The most of the people I know if they  do not understand or recognize something it is not art. So if we would be all like « them » the art would be cows, buildings and nature, maybe flowers or naked people and so on (a pipe) :) . But like always the art hat to evaluate and even if we do not understand it at first we have to take a closer look. If you understand what I am talking about continue to read otherwise do not waste your time and go otherwise (quite arrogant to say but if you think about it it is truth)

Art has changed
Art change all the time and we never get used to it.
Art is also sometimes bullshit and it is to « some of you » to make the difference between what is actually worth to see and what is just the Emperor's New Clothes. As Kimya Dawson would say: « We would not stop until someone call the cops and even than we will start again and just pretending that nothing ever happened » So THE art is like that and it is quite simple - the artist have an idea, he/she try to realize it as best he/she or she/he (however) can and you have to try to get it and that is all, but as you are influent by the media, by your friends, next to, the music you listen to, your education…etc… by everything to get it short, you have to try to filter out all the influence and to try to see what was the influence for the artist and to get actually what he/she want to tell you with the piece - so in the end art is and has always be about perception. But everything in the end is a question of perception - the person you met for the first time, the food you try for the first time, the artwork you see for the first time - you get the point I guess.

If I would be a philosopher (and I am surely not) I would not be a materialist, neither a idealist but a « perceptionist » I guess. And speaking of me, what makes me different from other people is actually exactly that - nothing. We have other, similar or same perceptions and ideas about everything - otherwise we are all (no exceptions) the same - we eat, drink, sleep, have been born, « think » / feel and die - except of the part with thinking / feeling  we are like a water heating boiler (water goes in, it heats and it goes out, until it stop working). So why is it important to make art, to express ourselves and to get most of the time just bad feedback and sometimes a good one? Probably because that is what makes the difference between the boiler and a human, but to be honest the most of us remains more boilers than humans and I say this because I have listened to many comments at, on and about quite thousand of exhibitions from people just not getting anything. Do not get me wrong, there are a million artist and people I do not like - but it is not about liking - it is about the respect for their work and the most difficult difference is to filter out the posers and fake from the real artist. To close this long thought of nothingness - it is up to your perception to get it or not, but try not to be disrespectful even if you do not understand or like something - not only art.
Cheers
your wizard of Avignon…

No comments: